To mark the start of 2024, here are some New Year’s resolutions you might want to think about!
- I’m going to get rid of our ‘probation period’ to prevent loads of new hires worrying themselves sick for three months just to ‘get’ the one person who didn’t work out.
- I’m going to abolish performance ratings so that no-one has to suffer the indignity of getting ‘meets expectations’ for yet another year.
- I will rip up our 9 box grids and resign myself to the fact that no-one has understood how to fill them in – EVER!
- I will replace our 3,782 employment policies with a funky welcome guide.
- I will stop telling everyone they have to be in the office three days a week and try to remember how we found we could actually trust people to work how they wanted during Covid.
- I will not sit in on any more interviews. Taking the notes and supervising managers is not a great use of my time…
- I will push back on any manager who thinks ‘it’s better if HR has a chat with them’. It’s not ‘better’, it’s avoidance.
- I am going to remind myself every day that I came into HR because I was interested in people – not process!
Happy New Year from Disruptive HR!!